Kitchen remodels can be an expensive undertaking if you are planning a major overhaul. Fortunately for you, if a complete overhaul is not in your current budget, there are some things you can do to change the appearance of your kitchen without spending a lot of money:
- Paint – A fresh coat of paint on your walls or cabinets can change the entire feel of your kitchen and if you do it yourself, costs are minimal. Your local hardware or paint store can tell you what type of paint and primer you should buy based on the surface you’ll be painting.
- Crown Molding – Adding crown molding to cabinets can make them look custom-made and more expensive. For tips on installing your own crown molding, check out this post over at Young House Love.
- Update Hardware – Updating the hardware on your cabinets, either by buying new hardware for a small price or refurbishing your current hardware with some spray paint, can instantly update their look.
- Light Fixtures – Swap out old, dated fixtures for new ones that suit your personal style. With a little know-how you can install them yourself. If you DIY the installation, the price of this remodel will depend entirely on the fixture you choose. If you do a little digging, you can find great fixtures at low cost.
- Counters and Floors – This can usually be one of the most expensive parts of a kitchen remodel, but it doesn’t have to be, if you choose the right materials. Vinyl flooring has improved vastly and it can now mimic the appearance of hardwood or ceramic tile at a fraction of the cost. For the countertops, today’s laminate countertops can mimic granite or stone with much lower maintenance and cost.
- Backsplash – The space behind your sink is prime decorating territory. Choosing tiles with personality can change the feel and look of your kitchen instantly. You can lay the tiles yourself to save money on the project.
- Shelving – Add shelving to your kitchen for increased storage space. You can find low-cost shelving at places like IKEA and bargain home-goods stores. Just make sure you anchor the shelves in to studs to ensure they can hold some weight.
What are your ideas for remodeling a kitchen on a budget? Let us know in the comments!